Friday, January 23, 2015

@Spacekatgal

Dear Brianna,

I just want to say that I have an enormous amount of respect for you.  For what you do.  For how you put yourself out there and how you have stuck to your convictions the entire time I known of you.  I cannot imagine how much of a pain in the ass all the stuff you've been subject to has been.  I have quietly followed you since all the Gamergate stuff exploded back around September and I have always found you to be an intelligent and reasonable person.

Lately though it seems like you are starting to fight all the idiotic vitriol from people with vitriol of your own.  Does that not serve to hurt your cause more than help it?  You're a smart women and I know you know how the internet works.  People are not going to dial back their own vitriol if you respond with the same.  It only escalates more and before you know it you've got another adversary rather than someone you can have a constructive debate with.

Today was sort of the kicker for me when TotalBiscuit and yourself got into it on Twitter.  I do not have an opinion of him personally one way or the other so I don't have any preconceived feelings about the guy that make me feel like I need to defend him.  But I do feel like from the first word you were quite vitriolic and had things been handled differently there may have been a constructive dialogue between you two rather than another forgettable internet fight.  What TotalBiscuit said was really odd and uncalled for in my opinion, but approaching him the way you did is only going to bring about exactly what happened between both your fan-base.

At a certain point the vitriol needs to stop so you might as well be the bigger and stronger person who is willing to make that first step towards doing it.  You've every right to be pissed off about all the crap you've been subject to so if you just cannot help but be upset I completely respect that.  But just know that vitriol on the internet never advances a positive discussion even when it comes to feminism.

I hope this does not come across as me attacking you for anything today because that was not my intent.  Rather I just wanted to give you my input as largely a bystander of all the Gamergate stuff.  I think it would serve everyone well to maybe approach things with less accusations and vitriol.  If someone says something that is sexists it makes a world of difference to point it out to them as sexist rather than brand them a sexist for life.  Just some food for thought I guess.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far. :)  Have a great weekend!

Dollmytee
Adam D

0 comments:

Post a Comment